Thursday, 23 April 2015

Poppy

ANZAC Day - the we remember the soldiers from Australia and New Zealand fought in the Gallipoli Campaign, and especially we remember those hundreds of thousands who died, fighting for our freedom. The Gallipoli battle was a disaster, and yet we saw so many of our soldiers become heroes that day. And we will not forget that.

Many of you know of the poppy as a memorial symbol for WWI, thanks to the poem "In Flanders Fields". Thanks to Foyles' War (haha), I now know that poppies are used as they were the first flowers to grow on the churned up earth of the soldiers' graves. Here in New Zealand (and Australia) it is primarily a symbol of ANZAC Day. I found this poem on Facebook that I really liked. I hope you like it too.

We will remember.

"I am not a badge of honour,
I am not a racist smear,
I am not a fashion statement,
To be worn but once a year,
I am not glorification
Of conflict or of war.
I am not a paper ornament
A token,
I am more.
I am a loving memory,
Of a father or a son,
A permanent reminder
Of each and every one.
I'm paper or enamel
I'm old or shining new,
I'm a way of saying thank you,
To every one of you.
I am a simple poppy
A Reminder to you all,
That courage faith and honour,
Will stand where heroes fall."
Paul Hunter 2014

With love,

No comments: