Saturday, 18 August 2012

'The Violet' by Jane Taylor

I just love this poem so much! :)

The Violet
 by Jane Taylor

Down in a green and shady bed,
   A modest violet grew,
Its stalk was bent, it hung its head,
   As if to hide from view.

And yet it was a lovely flower,
   Its colours bright and fair;
It might have graced a rosy bower,
   Instead of hiding there.

Yet there it was content to bloom,
   In modest tints arrayed;
And there diffused its sweet perfume,
   Within the silent shade.

Then let me to the valley go,
   This pretty flower to see;
That I may also learn to grow
   In sweet humility.

   This poem sums up the kind of person I want to be: someone who with each day grows closer and closer to the Lord, and in doing so, becomes more and more humbled. I really want to be someone who will be content in each and every situation; someone whose primary desire is not to see myself glorified, but Christ glorified through me. As one of my favourite Bible verses, John 3:30 says, "He must increase, but I must decrease." And what a daily struggle that is! So often, my life does not reflect this, and I seek only to serve and fulfill my own selfish desires. I, as with everybody else, needs to learn from the humble, sweet violet!

    I have some exciting news for you all as well! We will soon  be welcoming onto this blog another lovely "flower"! She is a dear friend of mine who helps me greatly in my walk with Christ. I am really excited about the neat input she will be able to have on this blog! 

  Yes, the photographs are quite random and unrelated to this post. I took in Daisy's advice (if you haven't already, read  this post) and had a lovely time wandering around the garden taking photos as I went, soaking in the last of the sun for the day. It is well worth doing! 

   And to finish up, I couldn't resist sharing with you all a YouTube clip of one of mine and Daisy's favourite singers (a post later on that methinks!). Her name is Hayley Westenra, and she was born and lived in our home country of New Zealand! Enjoy listening and look out for a post on her later on! :) 


No comments: